Monday, April 27, 2015

Let’s Be Honest … I don’t get gay..

My name is Tommy and I admit I don’t understand gay.  While I admit I don’t understand it, it is apparent that our society is fascinated with gay. I mean politicians are trying to get elected or reelected by walking that delicate straight line (no pun intended) between what they should say or not say to get the votes. My Church denomination are urging and using public threats to have us boycott Indiana because of law that I truly don’t understand. I have no clue but think it has to do with a business not serving gay people or something. Heck I have been refused service at all types of establishments and never once was I asked by sexual preferences. Okay maybe I was asked once but that was back in the 80's when all guys had puffy long hair and wore eye liner.  Or maybe because being a white, straight, married, Christian male I am viewed by most as Satan incarnate (not to mention I’m from the South... ). For most, my opinion don’t really matter. And in the grand scheme of society and the thousands of injustices, honestly, it really doesn't. But that never stopped me before.
I don’t get that the best our society has to offer in terms of entertainment is a guy who wants to be a woman. Yeah I get the freak show attraction part but shouldn't a guy/gal be able to live their life however they want to without us gawking. Yeah sure it keeps his/her family in the limelight but aren't they only famous for sex tapes, big butts, and naked selfies. Let’s just keep it in perspective. Anyone should be able to dress, act, or present themselves any way they feel comfortable without ridicule, shame, or viewed as some type of deviant.  I will never understand what it is like to suppress my love for someone without ridicule, rude comments, or embarrassment. I will never know what it is like to not be able to marry the love of my life because I was able to do that freely and without prejudice. I will never know what is like to be disowned by family or friends because of my sexual orientation. I have however been disowned for other reasons. I know it’s painful.  I have always been attracted to women and it’s freely accepted, I have no idea what it’s like to struggle with anything different. I have struggled with being accepted so on a smaller scale maybe I get it.  I have been called lots of names but never demeaning names that are directed to hurt spoken out of pure hatred. I can’t fathom why anyone would be so cruel. This is why I don’t understand gay. Then there is the minister side of me. People ask me all the time what does the Bible say about gay. Honestly it’s not really clear. It’s ambiguous at best.  Those that say it is clear are really just pushing their own agenda.  It is a sin? Is it an abomination? Will gay be damned to hell?  Look I thank God I am not the one who decides what is a sin or not and I got enough sins of my own to content with. Plus you sure don’t want me to be the one who lets people in heaven or not. It’s not my job and I can barely handle the one I got so I’ll leave all that up to God’s higher power. Plus many days I feel damned to earth. So I don’t really know.

Why I don’t know gay and it’s confusing I leave you with what I do know. Gay is confusing for all involved so if you are gay, help us to understand. Seriously help us to understand your struggles, your frustrations, your pain and your anger. It’s not a matter of acceptance by legalize or force , it’s a matter of understanding. With understanding comes compassion, with compassion comes acceptance and with acceptance comes change. I get your mad and frustrated, I would be too, but give us a little slack to work with something we don’t understand. Please don’t automatically expect me to immediately take up your fight only because I’m not the best person to take on anyone’s cause. But because I don’t march in the in streets with leather butt-less chaps or cruse with an equal sticker on my car, doesn't mean I’m not or will not be supportive.  Gay can be very confusing for us heterosexuals. But here is what I do know.  I know that God will judge me one day not on my belief of sexual orientation but the way I treated others.   For me and me alone I strongly believe I am called to love, serve, accept, and embrace all people. All means all. No one takes precedent over another. I wish I could pick and choose who I love, serve, accept and embrace but I can’t.  Gay doesn't define anyone any more than straight defines someone. It’s just a small piece that compasses the totality of a person or defines their character. So everyone be nice. Listen to one another. Try to make up your own mind and not just listen to other talking heads. Gay is confusing for everyone but so is life. I could use a little help in both but if we are all nicer and more open to one another maybe our world can be a little better than it is today…God I miss Honey Boo Boo… I am Tommy and admit I don’t understand gay.. “ Glad you’re here!”    Peace Out.. Tommy 

No comments:

Post a Comment