Two weeks ago my wife and I had our 21st wedding anniversary.
If you know me that is huge accomplishment to which I do not take lightly. What she finds in me is God's own personal mystery. Although our schedules have not let us properly “celebrated” I am looking forward
to that time. But the momentous occasion made me aware that our marriage is now
of legal age. What that means I have no idea but hope to uncover the possibilities.
However, looking back of where we came from to where we are today, it’s been a journey.
It’s been a miraculous journey through loved ones passing, children growing,
and life’s unexpected interruptions. But it did spark my reflective juices of just
what is maturity. Some of us go through life without it while others seem to
acquire it a very early age. So here are my uncollected thoughts on maturity.
Maturity is something some of us have, some of us are still working
towards, and some of us never get. Age doesn't necessarily bring about maturity.
It’s more than just growing old, grey hairs or eating at Cracker Barrel at
5:00 pm. Staying young, vibrant and fun
has nothing to do with maturity. Maturity is not making the same mistakes over
and over again. It is truly learning from all the things in life we have messed
up. Like Chinese takeout can be warmed up in the microwaves unless one removes
the little metal handle. Maturity is
finding joy and accomplishment in the success and growth of others. I still find joy in whopping folks in golf,
words with friends, and trivia but I mean winning in life. To help someone else
accomplish their goals, be a better person, or improve their life is better
than doing it yourself. Maturity is
looking at life with a huge amount of gratitude with more focus on what you do
have than what is missing. It’s seeing good fortunes are blessings and
recognizing what truly is important in life.
Maturity is talking less and listening more. But when you do talk say
something important with grace and mercy. Last but not least, I think for me maturity
is looking back at certain situations, actions, decisions and dark seasons in
my life and saying, “yeah I was an asshole…” while hoping I am less of one today than I was
yesterday.. Off to the Cracker Barrel..
Peace out! Tommy
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment